TMSBarrier Islands Psychiatry offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) through NeuroStar. TMS is a non-drug treatment for Major Depressive Disorder. This is not the same as ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
NeuroStar uses TMS to stimulate the left prefrontal cortex to “wake up” the neurotransmitters to increase mood. During a TMS treatment session an electromagnet, similar to that used in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine, delivers rapid pulses to the scalp. These pulses usually feel like gentle tapping on the scalp. These magnetic pulses make long-term remission from depression possible.
- Therapy sessions are conducted at the office every day for about 6 weeks.
- Patients are able to return to daily activities immediately after their session.
- Each treatment session lasts 19-37 minutes from start to finish.
- There are no negative side effects on memory or sleep.
- TMS is covered by most health insurance plans.