Barrier Islands offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) through NeuroStar. NeuroStar uses TMS to target key areas of the brain that are underactive in people with depression. It is not ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).
During a TMS treatment session, a magnet similar in strength to that used in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is used to stimulate nerve cells in the area of the brain thought to control mood. These magnetic pulses may have a positive effect on the brain’s neurotransmitter levels, making long-term remission possible.
- Therapy sessions are conducted in our office
- You can return to normal activities right away
- You are awake during treatment
- There are no negative effects on memory or sleep
- It’s covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Tricare